Sunday 21 July 2013

Gypsy chic

Summer 2013 | effortless & edgy |


The other day as I was walking in the heat of Barcelona when I heard some music coming from the distance. 
At first I thought it was a loud car stereo but as I became closer to the music, I realised it wasn't a car stereo at all. 
Under the bridge below a Catalan gypsy community were in full musical swing. Two men strummed aggressively on their acoustic guitars, occasionally groaning some husky lyrics which resembled an echoing cry. Another man loudly tapped the plastic bucket he was using as a seat. Several of the women danced in the middle. They stomped the dry ground turning the air into a magical sunny spiral of dust as they swished their heavy skirts to the rhythm. The children sat back and observed smiling in wonder…


No comments:

Post a Comment